Shoeboxed uses a sophisticated algorithm that reads the information on receipts to determine whether a receipt fits into any of our default categories. If it finds a match, it will automatically place that receipt in that default category.
Our 15 default tax categories are:
Auto / Fuel
Bank / ATM
Computer / Internet
Meals / Entertainment
Medical / Health
Postage / Shipping
Promotion / Advertising
Travel / Transport
Want to hide the default categories?
- Log into your account, click on the user icon in the top right and select Account settings.
- Select International on the left-hand column.
- Deselect the checkbox next to the appropriate set of default categories.
Categorizing Multiple Receipts at Once
- Log into your account and click on Receipts.
- Select the checkboxes next to the receipts that you want to add to a single category.
- Click the Assign Category drop-down menu.
- In the Assign Category section, select the appropriate category. If you want to create a new category to add the receipt(s) to, choose New Category.
- Whenever you categorize a receipt, our categorization system will ask if you want to make rules to auto-categorize receipts from that same vendor in the future. To edit or add auto-categorization rules at any time, click on Manage next to the Categories filter. On this page you can add or remove rules by vendor.
Categorizing Other Documents
At this point, Shoeboxed only categorizes receipts, not other documents or business cards.
Using Categories to separate personal and business expenses
Check out this FAQ: How do I separate personal and business expenses?